Ruled by; The Prince, The Princess, and The Duchess

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Could we have a normal first day???

We are cursed. We are 1 for 4 on normal first days of school here at Snow Springs Elementary. We moved here a few months into Alec's first grade year. This was the first cursed year. I forgot that in this school district early out day is Monday, instead of Friday like the school we moved from. I got a call about 15 minutes after school let out asking if I was going to come pick Alec up. Whoops!! The first day of Alec's second grade year he insisted that he was big enough to just go to class by himself on the first day. I let him think I thought he was big enough also and dropped him off and let him go merrily on his way. In the meantime I went to park the car so I could inconspicuously watch from afar and let him be the big kid he thought he was but I would know that he was OK. Well by the time I got to the back of the school the kids were lining up to go in....no Alec. I waited and watched....no Alec. I went into his classroom....no Alec. I got the feeling Alec got panicked and might have headed home. I started driving home....no Alec. By the time I got back to our house, our neighbor stopped me and said that she had seen Alec running back home, upset and bawling. She had taken him home, but when I wasn't there she took him over to Aunt Jenna, who lived just around the corner. I told her my evil planned failed miserably. I went and got Alec from Jenna and took him back to school. So this brings us up to last year. Alec's first day of third grade went off without a hitch...curse broken!! WRONG! Yesterday was Alec's first day of fourth grade. Even though he didn't want me to, I walked back with him and made sure all went well, no more evil plans for me! After lunch the girls and I headed grocery shopping. I was hustling around to make sure we got back to the school by 2:30, I no longer forget that Monday is early out day. About 1:45 my cell beeped that I had missed a call. I looked at it and saw 3 missed calls from home. "Weird!" I thought. Then I figured that Eric may have forgotten something and come home. So I called home. Alec answers, "Hi Mom", "You didn't come to get me so I just walked home." I asked him why he was home early and he said that all my clocks must be wrong because everybody left when he did. So I asked him how his day went told him I was just about done and would be home soon. Then I got to thinking about the timing of his arrival home. We have 2 start times for school. He got confused and instead of going out to recess with late start, and left for home with early start...Oh well, all's well that ends well!

No comments: